Most manufacturers will recommend the use of a lining paper for a really professional job (normally 1000 gms). If your walls have previously been gloss-painted or covered with any oil-based paint or sealer it is a good idea to apply a lining paper to give a more absorbent surface for you wallcoverings to adhere to.

In addition, a good quality lining paper should always be used with heavy wallcoverings or special finishes such as grasscloth, cork, hessian, handprints or flocks. Specific instructions for these will be given on the roll.

Walls that are in poor condition, where for example the plaster needs strengthening, will benefit from the use of ‘Fibre reinforced’ lining paper. Hang this with the fibre side to the wall using Ready Mixed Wallcovering Adhesive, light grade.